Introduction to Memoir Workshop Intensive
SOLD OUT - if you'd like to receive notice of upcoming writing days, please subscribe to my newsletter or keep an eye on my website.
Intensive, constructive, motivational and inspirational ...
Introduction to Memoir
Saturday 25 February 2023
10.00am - 3.30pm
Bring your writing materials and your lunch.
“And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” Anais Nin
Memoir is the writing of a particular journey you've made in your life. It's not a summary of achievements or a list of dates but rather the telling of a meaningful experience that has made us who we are today.
It can take some time before a writer is ready to tell his or her story. Are you ready to allow yourself the freedom to write yours?
When we're thinking about writing memoir, we're searching our history for a journey that is meaningful, powerful, and defining, one that we can tell with truth - and it is often that idea of truthfulness that can put us off writing about it. We're worried about offending someone, revealing our deepest secrets and vulnerabilities to perfect strangers, worried by the consequences of writing our truths.
In this work shop we will:
- define the genre of memoir
- discuss permission: allowing yourself to tell the story you want and need to tell
- discuss the authenticity and truth needed for memoir, and the freedom that can give you to tell your story
- look at ways to get started and how to select the journey you wish to focus on
- talk about the writing discipline needed to complete your memoir project
In preparation for the workshop, I ask that participants come with a brief synopsis (one or two paragraphs/500-800 words max.) of the story they would like to develop. Each participant will be asked to present their one idea to the group for workshop discussion.
I hope you will join me for this workshop day. It will be intensive, constructive, motivational and inspirational and we will all share the unique privilege of sharing stories that have meaning for us.
Where: The Writing Place, 21 McKenzie Ave,
Arkles Bay, Whangaparaoa, Auckland
When: Saturday 25 February 2023, 10.00am - 3.30pm
Cost: $90 (limited to six writers)
Please bring your lunch and writing materials
(Please note there are steps up into the venue so if you need assistance, please let Jane know by emailing email@example.com)
- Full refund available if participant cancels before 5pm on Thursday 23 February 2023. Sorry, no refund will be given if participant cancels after 5pm on Thursday 23 February 2023.
- Full refund available if the event is cancelled by the organiser or cancelled due to future COVID-19 restrictions imposed by Ministry of Health.
- The Writing Place will ensure all necessary health protocols are followed to ensure health, safety and comfort.
- If you feel unwell on the day, please do not attend and contact the organiser on 027 669 3091.